Lab Grade Calcium Hydroxide Ca (OH)2
- Adds Calcium Ions Required by most Reef Inhabitants
- Increases Alkalinity
- Encourages Growth of Pink, Purple and Green Calcareous Algae
- Elevates pH
- Precipitates Phosphate
All aquariums experience a significant amount of evaporation. You will regularly be adding “make up water” to replace the evaporated water. The salt in your tank does not evaporate, so do not add salt to your “make up water” mix. Always use R/O water, not tap water for your replacement water. Evaporation, plus protein skimmers, also depletes very important calcium. Frequently check the water level in your sump. Once your aquarium has been established, put a mark on the sump so you can easily see how much water has evaporated from the system.
MICROBE-LIFT/Kalkwasser additions will also help to maintain the pH and alkalinity of your aquarium. The hydroxyl ions from the MICROBE-LIFT/Kalkwasser mix neutralizes some of the acids that accumulate in the system. An ideal pH range is between 8.2 – 8.3. Don't let your pH go above 8.5 during the day, although there will be a temporary rise when you add the MICROBE-LIFT/Kalkwasser mix. It is important not to let the pH rise above 8.6 (day time reading) even when the MICROBE-LIFT/Kalkwasser mix is added in. The safest way of monitoring and dispensing of MICROBE-LIFT/Kalkwasser is through a dispensing system. The ideal alkalinity is 7 to 10 dKH. The ideal calcium concentrate is between 2.5 – 3.75 meq/L.
- 1 lb. (454 g.) (KALKSM) Treats up to 255 gal. (964 L.)
- 4 lb. (1,814 g.) (KALKMD) Treats up to 1,020 gal. (3,861 L.)
- Calcium Hydoride should be handled with care as it is a caustic material.
- When making your MICROBE-LIFT/Kalkwasser mix wear a dust mask or face filter.
- Also wear gloves and eye protection.
- Avoid contact with eyes and skin as the Calcium Hydoride is corrosive to skin and eyes.
- Calcium Hydoride will cause irritation and inflammation to mucous membranes and respiratory passages.
- In case of contact, immediately flush skin with large amounts of water or vinegar.
- If Calcium Hydoride comes in contact with eyes, flush with water for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Call a physician and ChemTrec day or night at 1-800-424-9300.
This product is intended for use with all ornamental and aquarium fish but may not be used with fish intended for human consumption.
Calcium Hydroxide: CAS# 1305-62-0